Sunday, June 26, 2011

Relaxing in the yard

We're coming up on two years here in the Lehigh Valley, just in time to have finished painting our home before the baby comes. I blogged the other day that we just finished the nursery - it was the very last room in the house to be painted, and in that span we've done four bedrooms, two hallways, the kitchen, and the living room.

People joke on Twitter that I'm not a real person because I'm known online but rarely seen offline, and I sort of laugh because it's true. If it hasn't been related to things I'm doing on campus, I've been a bit of a recluse. I'm not antisocial, I've just been painting.

Seriously.

It's not that the home was in bad shape when we bought it, but we have done a lot of work to get it to where we wanted it. Some of the rooms were rougher than others, and along the way we've discovered some problems with things like electrical that required some extra work. So we've gotten the house up to our vision - just in time for a kid to come along and crayon the hell out of our walls.

But the house is finally in good shape and we've finally opened it up for social things. Tonight we had my friend Silagh and her family over. It was a new experience for us to see actual kids running around in the backyard. I found myself staring out as I was grilling up the food and seeing how much fun the kids were having in our big yard. The kid is going to love this space.

Silagh's son even spotted a raccoon in a tree in our backyard. I had no idea we had raccoons around; I've seen possums and what appears to be some sort of hedgehog type creature roaming around, but never a raccoon. It was past dusk and so I got a crappy shot with my iPhone camera (sorry, still rocking the 3Gs so I don't have a flash on my iPhone).

It kind of hit me, this feels like home as I remember it from growing up. Not that it wasn't before, but I grew up in homes that were loud places. One of three kids, one of 13 cousins ... home has always been a loud place with laughter, joking, and conversation that is busy and all over the place. Amy and I have been the only ones in the home since we got married five years ago.

Having other people here makes it feel more alive because it mimics the controlled chaos I remember from growing up. I find myself wondering whether we'll come to miss the quiet, or whether we would have felt like home was too subdued without a little one running around.

More than anything, home was always a place of sharing when I was growing up. Sharing our things with each other, and sharing our space and our food with other friends who would come over. One thing I've been pondering a lot is how to create environments that mirror our values for the child, and one value I'd like them to see in action is that the space is shared with friends and loved ones. The thing I want our child to learn is there is value in forming and maintaining meaningful relationships. That means more people over and more often, I hope. Maybe not the first six week when we are leading the zombie apocalypse, but I want it to be a regular occurrence.

Or maybe I'm just feeling like I can do this now that the house is fully painted.

----

Post #11 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on my professional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment