Sunday, July 24, 2011

Getting through a heat wave

In case you hadn't heard, it was sort of hot this past weekend. The mother of all heatwaves, at least in terms of the past month. Three days of triple digits and our poor air conditioner was working over time.

I try to keep the house cool for my wife as she's going through the final weeks of the pregnancy. We went out to dinner on Thursday night and the hostess was asking how she's handling being pregnant in the third trimester during a hot and humid summer. She said she's doing fine and it's true - she's a trooper.

Discomfort is there at times, of course, but for the most part it comes and goes. This weekend was a bit different. She had trouble sleeping upstairs because our low ceilings trap the heat more, so she had to take it to the guest room downstairs. It's also limited her ability to go outside while it was so unbearable outdoors.

I was doing my usual since our mini-scare with the dehydration: making sure she wasn't overdoing it and being a Nazi about making sure she's drinking water. I'm a pain in the ass, but I figure it's for a good cause.

Thankfully it is cooling off, and I'm grateful that we have central air here as my wife goes through the final trimester. I know there are a lot of pregnant moms here in the Lehigh Valley and elsewhere that are getting by with less than that. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for them.

----

Post #39 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on my professional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment