Friday, July 8, 2011

Keepin' my head down

A couple days ago I posted about kicks. Today I got to feel something a little cooler.

My wife went in for a checkup today and they told her the baby is at head-down position, which is a good thing. I wanted her to ask how they determine this and the doctor explained that they feel for soft spots on the belly vs. hard spots. And when they feel a hard spot, they sort of plot out where the hard ones are compared to the soft ones and that gives something like an outline of the body.

Anyhow, I was intrigued. So this afternoon I was laying next to her and feeling for hard or soft areas. I came on a hard spot and pressed down slightly and .... it moved. What I pressed pretty clearly was a hand or a foot, probably a foot given that it was high up on the belly. And after pushing it a way, the kid kicked back right at that spot.

We were either playing or the kid was challenging authority. I could go with either explanation; it is a Littau baby, after all.

So this is the first time I've felt something where it wasn't just general "baby moving" type stuff. We've been watching her tummy and seeing little protrusions that go up or down, but it was so cool to interact with what I'm pretty sure was a limb.

These are those moments I'll miss a lot when the baby is born. It'll be nice to actually have the baby, of course, but getting to interact with it while it's in the womb is so interesting. I like to lay there and do some tactile touching and talking. Good stuff.

----

Post #23 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on my professional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment