Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sweat equity

We learned in our baby classes that one of the signs that the birth is near is that the woman starts "nesting," which essentially means an urge to get the house set up and ready for the baby's arrival.

If you've been reading this blog at all you probably know I've been doing it too. I'm determined to knock out the basement organization project by the first week in August and I'm also in the process of staining four newly installed doors downstairs. The door to the nursery was cracked when we bought it and beyond repair, so we had to replace it. Since there's no way we could match the stain to the others, we had to replace them all.

Anyhow, I've been doing these projects at night and on weekends after I work on research stuff by day.

Except today, that is. I needed a day to just do a bunch of physical labor and sweat some stuff off. I woke up in a bad mood after watching last night's speeches on television. Even for a person with a job who's doing everything right, it's terrifying to watch what's going on with the debt ceiling and it's hard not to feel angry at the people playing chicken with our nation's economy.

I'm trying to avoid politics on this blog, but I'm annoyed with too many people these days. Lying politicians, cynical people who ignore politics and don't vote so they can smugly tell us so later, naive idiots who vote for one issue and in turn elect assholes, and so forth. It's too easy to blame politicians and leave ourselves untouched. We're all to blame. That's all I'm saying.

OK, rant over. That's not the point of this post.

The point is that with a baby coming, it's hard not to worry. I already wonder how we'll do as parents but feel like that is something we can do with effort and some learning. How will we care for it if things really get terrible because of things other people do? How do people do these things?

The trite answer I'm getting (after tweeting last night that I think I need to apologize to our kid for making them join this screwed up society) is people manage. We've been through tougher as a society. Yeah, I know that. Thanks, Sherlock. Right to the pat answer (which, by the way, isn't always true) and ignores how terrifying the whole thing feels in the moment.

When it was just me, I always could manage if things ever got bad. Getting married ups those stakes. Adding a kid to that and all of the sudden I have to worry on behalf of three, to make sure we're provided for. No, I don't regret getting married or that we're having a child. If you think that's the point, you don't know me very well.

The point is that the stakes feel higher every day. And I needed a break to get my head in better shape.

So I went down to the basement and worked my butt off. Sorting through boxes, getting ready for the final coat of Drylok, and generally getting things set up. It felt good to use my muscles instead of my brain for an afternoon. I took a break in the afternoon to do something I haven't done in a long time — call my Congressman and tell him to give a little for crying out loud. Then I went back to work.

I got no research done today (hope the Provost isn't reading this). I don't think I would've gotten any done had I been in front of a computer anyhow. Too much on my mind.

It didn't make the whole world better, but it felt like effort and progress. That's going to be enough for now.

----

Post #41 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on my professional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. I was looking for a quote that goes something like, "working with your hands is like a prayer." It's probably why you like cooking. Maybe it's time to learn how to knit? LOL. Bet the doors are looking great.

    ReplyDelete