Wednesday, August 24, 2011

AloneAloneAlone

Tomorrow is the first day of a new phase for us. My mother-in-law has been with us since the day after our son was born, and for the past week we've also had my sister-in-law with us. What that means is that we haven't done the baby thing by ourselves yet.

It's been nice having the extra hands around here. Really, really nice. Because we weren't quite ready with clothes washing and such, the help allowed us to get caught up and ease into something of a routine slowly.

But some of this has been artificial in the sense that we haven't had to do this by ourselves, to figure it out, and so forth. We're both grateful for the help but I realize I haven't had a full taste of what this is like yet. And yet I'm still exhausted and sleep-deprived, even with four hands in the past week. I'm not sure how we would have weathered the first two weeks without the extra hands, and I'll admit I'm a little nervous about how things will go when it's just my wife and I to handle this.

Throw in the mix that the semester starts next week, and things are about to get a whole lot crazier.

We'll get through it, of course. People always do. Plus I am reminding myself that the baby was due after the term was supposed to start, so figuring all this out on the fly mid-semester would definitely have been more difficult. I've tried to prepare, and I know there are things I didn't think of.

But as it usually goes, the butterflies are there for a reason. This is big, bigger than anything I've ever tackled in life and the stakes are about as high could be. I am hoping my students and colleagues will be patient and understanding with this sleep-deprived professor. I pride myself on being there for my students and it's going to feel weird to not be able to be on campus much during the first month of the semester.

----

Post #70 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on my professional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter


2 comments:

  1. Its actually much better once everyone leaves! (shh don't tell my MIL and mom I said that.) The help is great but being alone with just your family is even better. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! If Lafayette students and Lehigh students are anything alike (and shhh!!! they are!!!), your students will be way more forgiving and sweet about being a new parent. I remember telling my students that I was tired and may be forgetful or have less energy, and they were so forgiving. It was really heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete