Saturday, August 6, 2011

Do we know?

So at the 20-week ultrasound we made sure to look the other way when they check out the baby's sex. We didn't want to know.

A lot of people thought we were crazy. Why not know? Technology has given us all of these wonderful gifts, including getting to know your baby as a boy or girl halfway through the pregnancy. I was a little surprised that I didn't care to know given that I like a good tech tool, but life is too light on surprises these days. We didn't ask.

That said, I've had a sense this baby is a boy for a few months now. There isn't much in the way of evidence, it just feels like a boy. My wife has thought similarly at times, although she probably wouldn't say she feels as strongly on this. Several people in her department at work seem to think she's carrying as if she's having a boy. So the conventional wisdom, probably based on old wives' tales and a complete guess, says it's a boy.

We've been preparing for both. Shopping is a pain, as there is a lot of pink and blue. So what do you do when you don't know? Lots of beige, green, and yellow.

Anyhow, that's where we've been headed. Friday we got an unexpected curveball. My wife was in for her 36-week checkup and had an ultrasound to help determine a few things, including the baby's position. During the ultrasound, the tech accidentally let some information slip that could be a tip on the baby's sex. My wife quickly interjected that we don't want to know, but the tech's comment is out there.

It's not definitive that we know, but it's more information that we had before. I find myself thinking about it now but trying not to. We don't know enough to plan or anything, but it's in the back of our minds.

I've said all along that I don't have a preference about a boy or a girl and I mean it. But given our experience, a word to the wise if you have a kid someday: every time that ultrasound machine fires up, make sure to tell the technician you don't want to know about the baby's sex if you're keeping it a surprise.

We might now, or we might not. At least it'll be a surprise to everyone else.

----

Post #52 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on my professional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. There should be a huge note on the Mother's chart. Maybe a button to wear at each ultrasound? Or a note scrawled on her belly to make sure the technician gets the memo?

    ReplyDelete