Sunday, August 28, 2011

First day of school

Tomorrow is our first day of the new academic year at Lehigh. I'm celebrating it by ... not going in to the office. But that doesn't mean I'm not working today, obviously, just managing things from afar.

Doing so means I'm going to be using every tech tool in my arsenal.
  • I'm using Dropbox to sync files across four computers between the home and office, which will help me stay sane as I find myself working on and off in different locations. I have a PC in the office, an iMac here at home, a MacBook for mobile work, a backup PC laptop, and an iPad. Lots of devices means the potential for chaos in terms of file versions, but Dropbox takes care of that.
  • Google+ has a nifty hangout feature that allows for multiuser video chats. I'm going to be doing virtual office hours on there for at least the first 2/3 of the semester, which will allow me to cut down time in my physical office as we make the transition here.
  • Email is good, but most students know that if they need to get ahold of me now that Twitter is the best option. I like Twitter because it forces students to be brief in their requests and focus on the key issues. You won't be shocked to know that simple email requests from students often turn into 5 paragraphs.
  • Keeping my reading organized is easier since I got linked up on Instapaper. It allows me to save reading across several devices for later and syncs across all my devices. Super convenient.
Some of this is about efficiency and some of it just allows me to create a new type of virtual office. Hopefully this will work as I get the system down.

----

Post #74 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on my professional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment