Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Phones and class

So I have this rule in my classes where I tell students to turn off their cell phone. I can't tell you how often I've lost my train of thought while lecturing while a cell phone went off in class. When you're on a roll, nothing puts the brakes on like a cell phone going off.

Enter Professor Twitter the hypocrite.

I had my phone on during yesterday's first session. My wife was at the doctor during the class, having taken our son in for some feeding issues. He was basically throwing up a lot of what he was eating and the doctor wanted to make sure there wasn't something major going on like a blockage. He had no fever so it was sort of weird. He's OK and we'll just switch up his formula, but that's not really the point of the story.

The point is that I couldn't keep the phone off, and sure enough I got a text giving me an update (which I stopped and read during class). It was weird to do this about 10 minutes after I'd asked for them to keep theirs off, but as I probably will do a lot this semester I asked for patience. Keeping it off would be a distraction, plus I need to be able to know I need to leave should something serious happen while I'm in class.

Thankfully it was nothing serious yesterday and I could manage it from afar. The utter lack of sleep this week, on the other hand, has been more of a problem. I did a couple brain freezes yesterday in class while trying to form the words in my head. I feel about as exhausted as I did during my comprehensive exams in PhD school.

----

Post #76 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on myprofessional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment