Friday, August 26, 2011

Rock you like a hurricane

I believe in being prepared, but I don't go overboard. On New Year's Eve 1999, my Y2K emergency ration kit was a gallon of purified water and a box of Wheat Thins. Seriously, those are the special supplies I went out and bought just in case of a worldwide computer meltdown.

Generally I don't overreact. I'll take some sensible precautions without doing it. Living in earthquake zones have taught me to always have a pair of shoes by the bed (in case of broken glass. I've been in two of the biggest quakes California has had the past 25 years - Loma Prieta in 1989 (the one that delayed the Bay Bridge World Series) and Northridge in 1994. Scary as those were and as widespread as the damage was, I've learned to not panic.

I do try to keep a sense of humor, mostly to ward of panic. But I've also done more prep for Hurricane Irene than in recent memory for any other pending emergency. A box of Wheat Thins works fine when it's just me, but I have a wife and baby to think about too.

So we're storing up some tap water but I also went and bought some gallons from the local drug store. Since we're making formula and keeping my wife well hydrated for the feedings, we need all we can get. I also stocked us with the requisite snacks and such so we don't starve.

I'm not to worried about the house other than the roof, which is always susceptible when we're talking high winds. But we're kind of on a perch in our neighborhood and flooding thankfully isn't a concern.

If you're stuck in the valley this weekend, kayak over our way. I'll share my Wheat Thins.

----

Post #72 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on my professional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment