Wednesday, August 10, 2011

We are home

Mom and Austin were discharged from the hospital today. Yesterday was a bit tough getting him to feed, but he's getting better at that today. Feeding is a trial-and-error process. Both he and mom are learning how to do something they haven't done before. In the movies they just latch on and go. It usually doesn't go like that.

Since he came a bit early they told us it might take him a while to get the hang of it. In the meantime though his vitals look great other than a bit of baby jaundice (which comes because of the feeding issues). Hopefully will clear up in a couple days.

I got a little teary-eyed leaving the mother-baby unit at the hospital today. No, not a freakout that OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO DO THIS OURSELVES NOW. It was more about leaving behind such a great group of nurses, volunteers, and staff at Cedar Crest Hospital. They gave great care in our first couple of days, but it's more than that. They are part of Austin's story, connected to him by those intimate things like helping him learn to feed and tending to his wounds and needs. There's something bonding about that.

He rode home without a hitch. Maybe a couple little sounds but overall he didn't mind the car. I hope it stays that way but realize that babies do change.

Bringing him home was a big treat. He's here with us, in the home we bought when we envisioned maybe having a family. He has a rockin' little playpen that is a bassinet for now. And he's charming everyone who meets him. That's my boy.

My mother-in-law is in town to lend a hand where needed, but my wife and I are trying to do as much of the routine baby stuff on our own so we can get a routine down. I'm helping her during feedings and trying to encourage her. I love watching her cradle him and hold him; she has such great instincts with him and that kind heart of hers that I love goes to him in concentrate form.

I like the moments when I get to hold him with nobody else around. Holding my son is the best thing I've ever experienced.

----

Post #56 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on my professional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment