Monday, August 29, 2011

Well this is off to a good start

So my pre-night-shift nap was shot to pieces tonight. I usually try to squeeze in a few hours before night duty so I can power through, but the boy decided to pick that time to have his digestion issues resurface. Spit up, we're used to, but this has been more like throwing up entire meals.

Called the advice nurse and they said keep an eye on it. Maybe a visit to the peds ER if it continues another couple hours.

By the way, I am supposed to teach my first class of the semester in 9 hours.

I've said it before that one of the great benefits of my job is the flexibility. I know if I have a sick kid that I have a lot more options than a kid with two working-class parents who are sapped in terms of sick and vacation time. So I'm grateful for that.

But I don't want to abuse that either. I realize that this flexibility is usual in university life, but in the back of my head I've still got that blue collar journalist mentality. It's a reason why I don't complain about academia in terms of pay or benefits; I know what it's like to punch in and out everyday and live paycheck to paycheck. And then there's the other matter that even if he is sick, we rely on my income to provide the food and health care he needs. So it's a balancing act, and one that easily pulses through my brain at midnight when I'm trying to soothe him while planning my workday.

----

Post #75 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on myprofessional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure little Austin is not having a fun time with his tummy troubles. I will say that you can totally use all of this to guilt him into doing things as a teen. Good luck with the rest of this week!

    ReplyDelete