Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Rewired for sleep

One of the things that has surprised me most so far has been my sleep patterns. I was prepared for less sleep, but because of the feeding intervals (not to mention the need to relieve my wife so she gets solid sleep) I'm finding that in the early going I'm getting less consecutive hours too.

So basically I'm tired a lot but also getting less solid blocks of sleep. Pretty normal, I think, but it leads to problems because my body has gotten used to it even if it's telling me that I'm tired all the time.

Tonight is a good example. My wife was up and I had a shot of 7-8 hours of sleep in a row, a rare opportunity since our son's birth. But, as has happened every time I've had this chance, the rewiring of my sleep clock won't let me take advantage. I get to about 4-5 hours and then I'm wide awake and unable to get back to sleep. My body and mind are still tired and I want to sleep, but at the same time my body is saying sleep time is over.

It's weird to be simultaneously exhausted and unable to sleep when it's not because of insomnia. In this case, my body is just on this clock and I think it'll take several days of stretched out sleep time before I'm able to do 8 hours again.

So I'm looking forward to that in 18 years.

----

Post #84 in my 90-in-90 blog challenge. Blog with us and join the fun. I'll be blogging both here and on myprofessional blog for the challenge. For more about the 90/90 challenge, read about my call for participants. The blogs participating are on the list at the right, or follow us on the #LUBlogTribe hashtag on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment